mentioned last week that Aaron and I are building a desk large enough for us to share. We’re using found and/or otherwise free materials, resulting in a quirky but functional table. Here is a reminder of what it looked like last week:
We wanted a wide plank top, made from boards original used in the tobacco barns dotting the family farm. Aaron and his father went out there yesterday to pick them up, cut them to size, and plane them on one side. The justification for planing them on only one side is that it needed to be flat on at least one side so the top wasn’t too janky and wobbly. Nevertheless, we really wanted the rustic look that resulted from the 100+ years of sun, wind, and rain exposure.
I was very excited to get home from work and see their progress. I absolutely loved what they did! The bonus is that the table is perfectly large enough for both of us to have space without taking over the room.
Of course we will need chairs for our new workstation. I scoured the house for suitable pieces and chose two slipper chairs my aunt-in-law picked up for us at a yard sale for $10! They came covered in a nubby, orange polyester that is both dated and uncomfortable to the touch. I would love to have these chairs recovered, but don’t really have an extra $150 to spend on reupholstering, not to mention the cost of whatever fabric I might select. So I decided to go the cheap route and make slipcovers! I wasn’t very concerned about what fabric to select for my covers because a) this is the first time I’ve ever made slipcovers and b) this is only a temporary fix. Here is one of the chairs to give you a visual:
I went to Garden Ridge during my lunch break to pick up some fabric. For some reason they have a several large tables stacked with fabric remnants at about 2 or so yards for $5.99. Their selection isn’t that bad and the price cannot be beat. I picked up four yards after rummaging through the pile for half and hour, all for a total cost of $13. I chose a red/orange tweed that goes well with the existing colors in the new office and will hide dirt, always a desirable quality with kids and dogs.
Here’s a close-up of the fabric:
I had already given a thought during the day about how I was going to assemble my slipcover, with particular emphasis on the quickest and easiest way to put it together. After dinner was done, kitchen cleaned, and little man went to bed, I went to work. I cut out three pieces, 1) for the back, 2) for the skirt and sides, and 3) for the front seat and back support, measuring very carefully. Once the peices were all cut out, it seriously only took me 15 minutes to assemble each slipcover; hem included. I surpised myself about how easy it was. Even Hubs agreed that they turned out pretty well. Although I’m pleased with how they turned out, I think they need some type of trim around the bottom to give them a bit more interest; at the moment they look just so…basic.
The only tasks left now are to paint and frame a large chalkboard on the wall for Aaron’s notes and clean out the old office. It should be done in no time! I am also hoping I can convince Hubs to let me buy an 8 x 10 grass rug for the space. (fingers crossed!)
Daily Drop Cap by Jessica Hische